Fiery Flames!
Hello, Eds!
For actually pertinent news, scroll down. But for now, something interesting actually happened to me this very morning and my first thought is (of course), "oh katz! i better put that on the blog!"
I awoke this morning, as I always do, at 8am. Tuesdays and Thursdays are bonus days for me, since I don't have class until
11:30. I was scrolling threw my email, when I thought I heard somebody shuffling around in the kitchen. Thats no surprise, living with two other dudes, I often hear strange noises at all odd hours of the night. But then again, this was morning, and Im up the earliest around here.
A few minutes later, I smelled smoke. At this point I still wasn't too worried, I assumed that one of my roomies must be fryin' up some oh-so-delicious eggs for himself. At that point I recalled that I was the only person who had done any cooking in the apartment since we moved in.
I opened my door a crack, wanting to see what was going on.
The entry way was filled with smoke, and an ominous orange glow filled the kitchen. The crackling sound of fire could be heard.
I rushed into the kitchen, finding a flaming mass of something a top our saucepan. Recalling my training, I knew that plunging my face into the flames would not be enough to quell them. Without missing a beat, threw the saucepan and the immolating hunk of death into the sink, and then doused the whole dang thing with life-giving Ann Arbor tap water.
Here's what happened: A mutual friend of everyone in the apartment was here yesterday. At some point, she decided to make us all pierogies (i want to stress that we did not give her this idea, maybe she just didn't want to see us starve). It appears now that the burner she used has a mis-adjusted dial that is actually on MAXIMUM when its turned to off. The saucepan had been placed on this, and our only ovenmitt atop that.
There's no real damage, apart whatever the fumes are doing to my lungs. The sauce pan was a cheap-o freebie that came with the apartment, so we can replace that. The wall is a pretty scorched, but upon closer inspection, someone actually had the fore-sight to install a metal plate in the wall next to the stove. Huzzah!
The only downside is that when we actually had a fire, the fire-alamrs did not go off. Although maybe they're not really fire alarms, but simply devices that specifically detect large fires from which there is no escape, and then play soothing music to the residents so that they will not be totally distraught as the flames consume them.
So, yeah. I just saved my apartment from fiery death, and its not even 9am. What have you accomplished today?
For actually pertinent news, scroll down. But for now, something interesting actually happened to me this very morning and my first thought is (of course), "oh katz! i better put that on the blog!"
I awoke this morning, as I always do, at 8am. Tuesdays and Thursdays are bonus days for me, since I don't have class until
11:30. I was scrolling threw my email, when I thought I heard somebody shuffling around in the kitchen. Thats no surprise, living with two other dudes, I often hear strange noises at all odd hours of the night. But then again, this was morning, and Im up the earliest around here.
A few minutes later, I smelled smoke. At this point I still wasn't too worried, I assumed that one of my roomies must be fryin' up some oh-so-delicious eggs for himself. At that point I recalled that I was the only person who had done any cooking in the apartment since we moved in.
I opened my door a crack, wanting to see what was going on.
The entry way was filled with smoke, and an ominous orange glow filled the kitchen. The crackling sound of fire could be heard.
I rushed into the kitchen, finding a flaming mass of something a top our saucepan. Recalling my training, I knew that plunging my face into the flames would not be enough to quell them. Without missing a beat, threw the saucepan and the immolating hunk of death into the sink, and then doused the whole dang thing with life-giving Ann Arbor tap water.
Here's what happened: A mutual friend of everyone in the apartment was here yesterday. At some point, she decided to make us all pierogies (i want to stress that we did not give her this idea, maybe she just didn't want to see us starve). It appears now that the burner she used has a mis-adjusted dial that is actually on MAXIMUM when its turned to off. The saucepan had been placed on this, and our only ovenmitt atop that.
There's no real damage, apart whatever the fumes are doing to my lungs. The sauce pan was a cheap-o freebie that came with the apartment, so we can replace that. The wall is a pretty scorched, but upon closer inspection, someone actually had the fore-sight to install a metal plate in the wall next to the stove. Huzzah!
The only downside is that when we actually had a fire, the fire-alamrs did not go off. Although maybe they're not really fire alarms, but simply devices that specifically detect large fires from which there is no escape, and then play soothing music to the residents so that they will not be totally distraught as the flames consume them.
So, yeah. I just saved my apartment from fiery death, and its not even 9am. What have you accomplished today?

3 Comments:
Which reminds me, do you have a will? Can I have your ipod?
Time for a walmart trip for a new smoke detector. They make them now with a feature where you can record a message and it will play that instead of an alarm tone. The box suggests: "Suzy, Todd, there is a fire. Get out of the house like we practiced and meet us at the mailbox." But yours would no doubt be much more imaginative.
(This could make a good contest...write Max's smoke detector message.)
Im nominating these responses as the best thing to happen to this blog. ever.
To clarify:
The shuffling sound was the noise of the oven mitt combusting after having been left on a very very hot sauce pan all night.
YAY MAX! You should be a volenteer fireman! "HALT THOU FIRE, OR I SHALT THROWETH THIS BUCKET OF WATER AT THOU!"
Post a Comment
<< Home