Saturday, November 05, 2005

borg and berry sightings!

Life is good!!! This past week I have seen and heard both Marcus Borg, my favorite contemporary theologian and Wendell Berry! Wed. nite my friend Marge Carr and I drove to Green Castle to hear Borg, both of us a little wary since sometimes authors are terribly bad speakers. But we were pleasantly surprised to find him to be such a good speaker that the 55 minutes and 6 seconds he spoke flew by. He told us how long the speech was adding that is for all you anal retentive people out there.
He spoke of two paridigms-the belief one centered on requirements and rewards ( in other words how to get into Heaven) and the emerging paridigm focusing on a relationship with God. The first believes in the inerrancy of the Bible; its a divine product. The other believes it is a human product telling how the community experienced God. Atheist that I am, I am fully in agreement with the latter.
Wendell was great-read a short story, a poem and answered some questions. Oh, yes, he said the Democratic Party was a big disappointment to him! I expected him to appear in jeans but he had on a suit tho he did look kind of uncomfortable in it!
A great week!
Tuesday I am going to have the cataract removed from my right eye. Though everyone tells me it's a piece of cake , I am convinced I will suffer unheard of complications!
Got my bedroom painted lavender and am in process of choosing spreads,etc.
Am enjoying the postings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home