Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bob Dylan Turns 70

I want to commemorate the 70th birthday of the musician who has probably given us more great songs than any human being, living or dead (along with his share of clunkers).  His lyrics inspired us, sometimes to action, sometimes to dreaminess, and sometimes to an exciting kind of bafflement.  And his life has been an evolving enigma that has challenged us to think about our own lives.  There has been no one like him, by his design.  Below is the great Subterranean Homesick Blues (note Allen Ginsberg in the background).  It's one of my favorites, but if I had to pick an absolute Dylan favorite, it'd probably be Mr. Tambourine Man.  How about you?

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Visions of Johana, all the way.

May 25, 2011 3:25 PM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

An esoteric choice, but a good one. "The ghost of electricity/Howls in the bones of her cheeks." It don't get much better than that. Evidently Dylan said it was his favorite song from Blonde on Blonde.

Ask Phil if "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" is still his favorite Dylan song. It was when he was a kid. But he was also partial to Dylan's first album which was all folk songs except for "Song for Woody."

May 25, 2011 9:11 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

115th Dream is still up there for me, though probably not my favorite (that title would probably go to "It's Alright, Ma"). As far as albums go the first is definitely my favorite.

Also, just for the sake of accuracy, "Talking New York" is also a Dylan original from his first album.

May 25, 2011 9:24 PM  
Blogger chris said...

My favorite Dylan song to sing would probably be "I shall be released". Has anyone ever heard him do it?

May 26, 2011 11:59 AM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

Both "It's Alright, Ma" and "I Shall Be Released" would be in my Top Ten.

Phil, I stand corrected regarding originals on first album. "115th Dream" directly precedes "Mr Tambourine Man" on Bringing It All Back Home, which also includes "It's Alright, Ma" and "Subterranean Homesick Blues." Not to mention "Maggie's Farm" and "Baby Blue." How many great songs can you fit on an album?

Chris, I couldn't find a Dylan version on YouTube, but I did find covers by Elvis, Wilco, and the Beatles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgM4yK8ih_w&playnext=1&list=PL824130DA4E478C80)!

May 26, 2011 11:33 PM  
Blogger Marcile said...

Why are we remembering Dylan at this time? My favorite is the one Broken Finger used to sing, Tomorrow's such a long time.

May 28, 2011 6:26 PM  
Blogger Marcile said...

oh, I see-his birthday.

May 28, 2011 6:27 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Here's another clip of the Beatles doing I Shall Be Released, with a somewhat more audible vocal track and a more polished guitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h99zLOcG18k&NR=1

Besides the ones already mentioned, I'd add All Along The Watch Tower and Most Likely You'll Go Your Way. Chris, Rob and I did a bang-up cover of this at about 3 am in Ferndale. Too bad the tape machine wasn't running for that session.

Pete Stromberg did the vocal on Tomorrow's Such a Long Time, as I recall. I used to sing it to Michael at bedtime back when he was in the crib. I also did Don't Think Twice It's All Right. How hip is that?

May 28, 2011 7:23 PM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

Mom, I would have guessed that one for you. Like "I Shall Be Released," I'd never heard Dylan do "Tomorrow" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) until now! Here's a snippet from Greatest Hits, Volume 2: http://www.bobdylan.com/sites/www.bobdylan.com/themes/dylan/player.php?song_nid=232&album_nid=6308. As far as I know it was never recorded on one of his major studio albums

May 28, 2011 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home