Moving to NEW Blogger...
I happily went to make a new post on my favorite family blog (to ease somewhat the burden of keeping this blog alive off Max's shoulders) and found I could not! When I went to log in I had to choose between OLD Blogger and NEW Blogger. I thought I vaguely remembered Max mention a switch to this NEW Blogger, but since I knew nothing of it I decided I must want OLD Blogger. Verily did I log into OLD Blogger but when I tried to access Talking Eds I was told it had been moved to NEW Blogger which naturally cannot be accessed from the antiquated trappings of OLD Blogger. How could I access this NEW Blogger? What wonders waited for me there? These questions demanded answers.
So here's what I had to do (and I believe you will too if you wish to continue your contribution to this blog):
1) Make a Google account, if you don't have one. You can do this here.
NEW Blogger requires a new type of account. This will make a Google mail account for you, allow you to personalize Google.com, and do many other undoubtedly useful things you will probably never need.
2) Ask my dad to re-invite you to the blog.
Oddly enough, there is no way to link your OLD Blogger account to your NEW Blogger account that I am aware of. This means you cannot transfer your membership to this blog from one account to the other, and finally, you will have to re-establish that membership. This can be done with any e-mail address. It does not have to be your new G-mail address (from Step 1, remember?)
3) Accept the invitation and enter your NEW Blogger account information.
This is the pay-off. You will receive an invitation e-mail with a link. You will click on the link and be asked for a username and password. You will enter your NEW Blogger account information. Upon hitting "Sign In" you will be rocketed into the Blogger of the Future, a white shining tower shooting out of the crippled remains of OLD Blogger...this is what you've been waiting for...this is NEW Blogger!
Once inside, you'll find it looks pretty much the same as OLD Blogger, and you may wonder, like I did, "Why did I just have to do all that stuff?" I'm sure there are some very compelling new features I'm not aware of, but OLD Blogger got the job done just fine. Nevertheless, to my knowledge this is the only way that you will be able to make new posts (though I think you can still comment without switching over).
There may be another way since Max seems to have been unaffected by this switch. Max?
So here's what I had to do (and I believe you will too if you wish to continue your contribution to this blog):
1) Make a Google account, if you don't have one. You can do this here.
NEW Blogger requires a new type of account. This will make a Google mail account for you, allow you to personalize Google.com, and do many other undoubtedly useful things you will probably never need.
2) Ask my dad to re-invite you to the blog.
Oddly enough, there is no way to link your OLD Blogger account to your NEW Blogger account that I am aware of. This means you cannot transfer your membership to this blog from one account to the other, and finally, you will have to re-establish that membership. This can be done with any e-mail address. It does not have to be your new G-mail address (from Step 1, remember?)
3) Accept the invitation and enter your NEW Blogger account information.
This is the pay-off. You will receive an invitation e-mail with a link. You will click on the link and be asked for a username and password. You will enter your NEW Blogger account information. Upon hitting "Sign In" you will be rocketed into the Blogger of the Future, a white shining tower shooting out of the crippled remains of OLD Blogger...this is what you've been waiting for...this is NEW Blogger!
Once inside, you'll find it looks pretty much the same as OLD Blogger, and you may wonder, like I did, "Why did I just have to do all that stuff?" I'm sure there are some very compelling new features I'm not aware of, but OLD Blogger got the job done just fine. Nevertheless, to my knowledge this is the only way that you will be able to make new posts (though I think you can still comment without switching over).
There may be another way since Max seems to have been unaffected by this switch. Max?

2 Comments:
Well, because I already used such wonderous Google services like Gmail I really didn't have to make any changes.
I think most of this NEW BLOGGER business is to get people to use these new GOOGLE TOOLS that they have been touting - tools which are awesome I might add.
They certainly have changed how the site works, though. Template editing is now drag-and-drop, posts are added instantly to the blog, and so on.
Welcome to the future, noble Eds.
I'll go ahead and send everyone new invites to simplify this process, if indeed it can be simplified.
Post a Comment
<< Home