Sunday, September 17, 2006

Because you demanded it...

No one actually demanded this, but Melissa did express an interest once, so I think that counts.

This is my home-made comic book cabinet.
It's composed entirely of oak veneer plywood except for the drawer fronts which are solid oak. I don't really know much about fancy joinery yet so it's all held together by plain old screws which I countersunk and plugged. It's about 20" wide, 30" tall, and 22" deep. Each drawer has two divisions and each divisions can hold (I think) 215 comics, for a staggering total capacity of 860 comics. The materials cost around $170 dollars, mostly because veneer plywood is expensive.

My next project is a whole set of cabinets for my parents' garage. This will include two 7-foot tall, 3-foot wide cabinets, one workbench with drawers underneath it, and cabinets hung from the wall over the workbench. I'll post some pictures of that when I've got something worth looking at. If I ever finish that project I'll be available for commission.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Phil was nice enough to make me a comicbook case as well! Not a big one like that, but one perfect for my needs. It is fantastic, and the ladies cannot resist it.

September 17, 2006 7:18 PM  
Blogger Mylz said...

That thing looks like it could hold a crapload of comics!

September 17, 2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger Marcile said...

When you finish the big,big project for your parents, I'd like to commission you to make me a very small book case to sit by my bed. That way some of the stuff on my night stand can go so the Merry Maids will dust it.
You can look at the space some time. And when do you find time to do this?

September 19, 2006 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home