Current events at 1002 North St.
I noticed there was a distinct lack of Phil-related news on Talking Eds and decided this would not do. I've got a pretty easy semester going, but I'm working a lot so I'm staying pretty busy. I'm moving toward graduation at a sometimes horrifying pace, so far without a job. I have been in contact with one company who I think seems interested in me, and I have a few other leads. I think it's too early to be worried but I don't let that stop me.
Susan started a new job today. It's a training position with Purdue's IT department so she'll do things like writing tutorials that will be posted online or actually doing training seminars. At least that's my understanding. I think she'll be cooking up a post of her own in a few days so I'll let her talk about that.
Anyway, what I really wanted to show off is what I've been doing in my free time. Which looks a little something like this (images can be clicked on for bigger versions):


This is the little shop I've made for myself in our one-car garage. It's all home-made and mostly made of scraps or material that I was given. I think I've only got about 50 bucks invested in it. There are four separate benches there. I wanted them to be somewhat modular so I could take them with me when I move. The shelves above my bench feature home-made 2x4 brackets, and as a result I can (and sometimes do) stand on those shelves without the slightest bit of fear. It was just this last weekend that I put in the white laminate bench/wood rack and the second (lower) set of shelves, so it's been a pretty long process (I started in late August) but I'm finally starting to feel like it's complete.
I've also got a picture of my first project to come out of the new shop:

This folding screen was cooked up in order to keep our cats out of the living room. For some reason one or both of them decided it was okay to relieve themselves behind one of our chairs. Since we could never catch them to stop them we decided to just cut off their access. It's pine and plywood with pretty simple construction, nothing fancy about it at all, but it's functional and I don't think it looks too bad.
Future projects include an adjustable height, knock-down workbench (you can see the 1/3rd scale and parts of the full size mock-up on my bench in those pictures) which I'm doing for my CNC routing class, and at some point I hope to make a porch swing.
And now you are caught up on all things in my world.
Susan started a new job today. It's a training position with Purdue's IT department so she'll do things like writing tutorials that will be posted online or actually doing training seminars. At least that's my understanding. I think she'll be cooking up a post of her own in a few days so I'll let her talk about that.
Anyway, what I really wanted to show off is what I've been doing in my free time. Which looks a little something like this (images can be clicked on for bigger versions):


This is the little shop I've made for myself in our one-car garage. It's all home-made and mostly made of scraps or material that I was given. I think I've only got about 50 bucks invested in it. There are four separate benches there. I wanted them to be somewhat modular so I could take them with me when I move. The shelves above my bench feature home-made 2x4 brackets, and as a result I can (and sometimes do) stand on those shelves without the slightest bit of fear. It was just this last weekend that I put in the white laminate bench/wood rack and the second (lower) set of shelves, so it's been a pretty long process (I started in late August) but I'm finally starting to feel like it's complete.
I've also got a picture of my first project to come out of the new shop:

This folding screen was cooked up in order to keep our cats out of the living room. For some reason one or both of them decided it was okay to relieve themselves behind one of our chairs. Since we could never catch them to stop them we decided to just cut off their access. It's pine and plywood with pretty simple construction, nothing fancy about it at all, but it's functional and I don't think it looks too bad.
Future projects include an adjustable height, knock-down workbench (you can see the 1/3rd scale and parts of the full size mock-up on my bench in those pictures) which I'm doing for my CNC routing class, and at some point I hope to make a porch swing.
And now you are caught up on all things in my world.

2 Comments:
Well how in the heck am I supposed to follow that act?
Nice looking shop! Are you sure you're an Eddy?
Post a Comment
<< Home