Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Three Good Reasons Not to Even Think About Voting Republican for President

Last week I actually watched the Republican presidential debate, which was really more like a series of 30-second spots rotating among 10 white males (no, white maleness not one of the reasons not to vote for any of them, though it's nice to have some race/gender options on the Dem side). Moderator Chris Matthews asked three "poll" questions that were telling. Asked about stem cell research, only John McCain and Rudy Guiliani supported it. How many of them allowed a woman the right to choose an abortion? Only Guiliani did, and Matthews had to ask him three times before he gave a straight answer. (Romney explained that he used to support the exisitng law, but that stem cell research convinced him that we'd gone too far and that Roe v. Wade needed to be reversed. Go figure.) When Matthews asked how many did not believe in evolution, Sam Brownback, Mike Huckabee, and Tom Tancredo raised their hands without a hint of sheepishness. Welcome to the Nineteenth Century, gentlemen. You've just disqualified yourselves for leading the country in the age of genome research, pandemics, DNA profiling, cloning, global warming, genetic engineering, etc.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Here's a fun game! Count how many times the contestants, I mean candidates, say "God."
During the republican national convention in 2000, I got well over 120!

May 10, 2007 1:12 AM  
Blogger Mylz said...

I see the Tippecanoe County Democrats have a spy!

May 10, 2007 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised that McCain supports a woman's right to choose. But I'm really surprised that there are candidates for president who would openly admit to not believing in evolution. Lets hope one of them is the nominee!

May 10, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Webmaster said...

Chris, you're right about McCain. Evidently I gave him too much credit for being a "maverick." I'll fix the original blog so as not to mislead the young and impressionable.

May 12, 2007 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home