Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Fire at Von's


I thought many of you out-of-town Eddys would be interested in this bit of local news. There was a serious fire at Von's yesterday, up in the apartments above the store. Here's a link to the story in the Journal and Courier. Apparently the upper level was pretty much a total loss and I heard on the radio that their inventory was all water damaged. (Though the bookstore has nothing above it, so I don't know why it would have been affected all that much.) The place has probably been a firetrap for a long time.

What's worrisome is that Von has been making noise about retiring lately; he's spending a lot of time in Colorado, in fact that's where he was yesterday (establishing his abibi, no doubt). I hope this doesn't create the occasion for him to bail out. Then we'd have nothing lft but the "big box" national chains. It'd sure be a loss for those of us who depended on Von's to have the books and records we needed growing up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Webmaster said...

Here is a follow-up story on the Von's fire from the Journal and Courier. The headline has someone vowing to repoen, but von himself hasn't been heard from.

In a related story on the history of Von's there is a mention of a fire in Harry's that affected Von's in 1995. (I remember buying some cheap CDs at the fire sale.) Sarah, is that the fire you're remembering, or something more recent?

December 01, 2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man, i hate to see a good bookstore burn.

December 01, 2005 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home