Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pete Seeger Sings Back Up to Beyonce

I don't know how many of you got to see the We Are One concert today; if you didn't you'll just have to take my word on this. Beyonce closed the show down with "America the Beautiful" and for the last couple of verses, all the performers were onstage singing along with her. Including Pete Seeger (and Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Bono, Bon Jovi, etc.) Here's a picture of the ensemble; I haven't found any video clips. Actually, the better moment was just before that when Pete and Bruce sang "This Land Is Your Land." Pete didn't really sing but spoke out the lyrics for the audience to sing along, as he's always done in concert. At 89 though his singing voice is pretty well gone. They sang all the verses, even the one about private property that was famously accused of being "communist." It was pretty great to see him up there with his flannel shirt, his stocking cap, and banjo. Must have felt pretty good to an old civil rights protest singer.

The concert was pretty fun. Obama was singing along with John Mellencamp on"Little Pink Houses" and the Obama family was on their feet for Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground." Obama's oldest daughter was taking pictures of her favorite stars. Bruce kicked it off with a heart-felt rendering of "The Rising." I thought Aretha was supposed to perform, but didn't see her.

It was just the start of inauguration celebration that we're all looking forward to.

Okay, I trust I've taken the pressure off for a 300th blog entry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Pete's a real man--no coat! I saw a brief clip of Bruce doing The Rising and it sounded great. Was that his only number? By the way, congratulations, webmaster, on number 300.

January 19, 2009 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home